I received my uBitX kit on the 19th of December but as I was finishing up work, I didn’t have much time to work on it. But it is now working, with a few little issues to work through, and a few mods done to it and a few more to do.
I started with a cheap project case from Jaycar (This one) and drew up a template for cutting and drilling the case, printed it out and taped it on so that I could do a better job than I did on the BitX40 case. (Turns out the layout changed a little after this picture)
I used a dremel 4200 to cut out the screen hole this time, instead of a 125mm angle grinder, so that worked somewhat better.
Again I have gone with a 20×4 lcd screen in order to have a more scructured layout of onscreen information rather than the 16×2 supplied. I decided to use the bottom line for status updates but have not 100% finished adding that into the arduino code yet. When it doesn’t have any status worth showing the bottom line has the owner’s callsign and μBitx. I have set the callsign as a string that can be easily changed before uploading once I release my modified code if anyone is interested in using a larger screen.
I have also added a band readout, set to the Australian advanced licence band limits, but these can also be pretty easily modified to suit other places. If it is tuned out of band a warning ‘OOB: NO TX’ sits in place of the band readout, as a warning only, there is no TX inhibit attached to that (at this stage anyway, i haven’t looked at how to do that and it’s low on priorities). It is the responsibility of an amateur operator to know their limits and not go outside them.
Cat control works but is a little slow and buggy. I haven’t done very much to the Cat code at this stage. Cat control works nicely now thanks to @phdlee on github’s fine code.
I have converted a Baofeng speakermic to suit, using old cat5 cable, the mic that came with the kit, and a couple 3.5mm TRS plugs. it can be used as just a mic or both speaker and mic, so I can still use headphones.
I have put in somewhat larger heatsinks too. I have now hooked up the voltage boost converter on the left and set to 20 volts (after the next photo was taken), a whistle into the mic into a dummy load via a meter and it was putting out 18w running at this voltage on 80 meters.
Edit 02/01/18: I have been working on the internal USB sound card today and it is almost ready to put in and test.
Edit: the USB sound card and associated board work fine, I will post something about that soon.
Edit: I have uploaded the code to github, please read the notes and edit your callsign in the ubitx_ui.ino file before you install on your raduino.
Note this will ONLY work if you use a 20×4 character LCD screen instead of the stock one.
More to come.
Thanks for reading